Sunday, March 7, 2010

Possible trip to the frog pond

A little over a year ago, I started knitting a sweater/cardigan/jacket thing. I get cold easily, so I wanted a layer that I could wear in the house when I get chilly, but one that would be easy to take off and put on, so not a pullover. It needed to have a collar that would keep my draft-hating neck warm, but that would fold down if I didn't want it up (conversely, a collar that could fold up if I wanted it to). It needed to have large areas of stockinette, so that I could duplicate-stitch a design onto it. It needed to have a casual fit, no or minimal shaping. I decided on the Jess pattern.

I didn't like making the sweater in all the pieces, so I adapted the pattern to knit the fronts and back as one piece, and the sleeves in the round, and sew the sleeves on later, then knit the collar. I got to the point where the body and sleeves were basically done, and ground to a halt. I just don't know if I like the idea of having to sew those sleeves in. I'm not even sure if this is the right pattern for me anymore; what with all the modifications I'm making, maybe I'd be better off choosing a different pattern that is already written to be seamless. So I ask your help.

Here is the sweater as it is now (I haven't bound off the sleeves and hem, in case I want to adjust the length once I get it sewn together, which will be convenient if I decide to frog):


Do I:
-Choose a new pattern, frog everything and make the new pattern, and submit it for DADA, since the cats evoke memories for me
-Suck it up and finish it as it is, sewing in the sleeves, and submit it as a finished WIP for Charms
-Frog it all, redo it to have the sleeves knitted in instead of sewn in, and keep my other seam-reducing changes, and submit it for Transfiguration
-Something else, that I haven't thought of yet- all suggestions welcome!

Thanks for your input!

1 comment:

  1. Sewing it in is not difficult at all, so I guess that would be the easiest way to do it. The seam allowance in the sleeve and the armhole should be about 2 rows, and it's normally included in the pattern, so if you didn't mod that out, it should be there. Just turn the body part inside out, put in the sleeve so right sides are facing and stitch it in with some matching yarn. It looks really good!

    -Nusy

    ReplyDelete